Monday, March 9, 2009

Biscuits, On the Side

We all know that English people say "biscuits" for cookies. When I first moved here, I got all the small differences in language wrong. In addition, I would notice expressions that made no real sense. For instance, I used to hear "on the side" constantly, but never as Americans use it, for side dishes and such. "Where's my football kit (soccer equipment)?" a boy on TV would ask his mom. "On the side," she would answer. The side of WHAT?!

A "side", I later found out, was a spoken abbreviation for a sideboard, which I've always grown up with, but to which, I'm quite sure, I've never referred directly.

Last week I made these "linzer" cookies from this book, though they're not true linzer, as she describes, since they contain no nuts.

I used this proper English jam, which is amazing, and available everywhere, I'm sure. It's a real treat on my (daily) peanut butter.

We also purchased our first sideboard! My guess is it's 1960s, though tell me if you know otherwise. So now, my friends, I can refer to this piece of furniture with great abandon, and as I see fit!

By the end of the day there were only two biscuits left, on the side.

No comments: