Monday, June 20, 2011

Summer Camp Shirt

Summer Camp and Back to School were the two places I liked going most as a child. So in the Summer, I like to pretend I'm still going to camp, and dress accordingly. This homemade shirt is just the kind I would pack, for the big week away.

I fell in love with the fabric. It's a sweet woodland theme, without being too overt.

The pattern is Butterick 5300, which I've made before. This time I made a size Small, instead of XS, as I like the slightly looser fit in the slightly heavier weight quilting cotton.

I'll be taking this shirt of my vacation, where I'll be doing things I dreamed of doing at camp: riding horses, swimming in the warm sea, and hiking trails to see amazing sights.

Whereas at camp, we made friendship bracelets, drank 'bug juice', and swam in the dirty lake. I'd still do all three of these things tomorrow. That's what Summer is all about, right?

P.S. I got a new (old) sewing machine off Craigslist for a song, and it's amazing! Sewing has improved 150% and buttonhole anxiety has left the building. The joy of sewing has tripled!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great shirt! I love those collars, and the fabric is awesome. Have fun on vacation and congrats on the sewing machine!