Friday, September 23, 2011

Sourdough Details

Here's my Sourdough Bible of the moment, friends.  It's doing me well, and I can't wait to try more recipes from it.  I used up my first batch of starter.  I thought that was maybe it for my interest in sourdough.  Then, I started missing it.  I guess it really is like a pet!  So this coming warm weekend I'll be fermenting some more.


I also made the prune cake I was talking about in my last post.  It was DELICIOUS.  As usual in any recipe I doubled the cinnamon, and added a teaspoon of baking soda, as there was no additional yeast to this quick bread and I was scared it wouldn't rise at all.  I took it to work (didn't tell them it had prunes) and everyone loved it.  Recipe below.

Finally, I show you the back of this grotty book I bought at an estate sale for $.25 because I want you to see what a triumph Rita herself is (click to photo to enlarge).  I'd like to take a photo of myself and my bread like this.  I also need some hot rollers to achieve this hairstyle, most perfect for practicing the domestic arts.  The book says she was a TV chef.  Anyone know anything about this?  I must look it up!  Make Rita's prune bread, and enjoy!



Sourdough Prune Nut Bread
(from the book above)
2 cups sourdough starter
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup wheat germ
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 ( to 1) teaspoon cinnamon
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup powdered milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cooked, drained prunes, chopped.
1/2 cup chopped nuts (i used almonds)
1 tsp baking soda (optional)

Measure sourdough starter into a large bowl.  Add sugar, wheat germ, salt, cinnamon, egg, milk, and powdered milk.  Mix well.  Fold in flour, prunes, and nuts.  Pour into a well greased loaf pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until done.  Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan.  Makes 1 loaf.

1 comment:

Alexandra said...

I love her apron with the overall hooks!