Thursday, August 18, 2016

Tie Dye!

Penny has been really interested in the kids art show Creative Galaxy lately (it's free to watch if you've got Amazon Prime). Made by my former colleagues who started Blue's Clues, Super Why, and Daniel Tiger, among other shows, Creative Galaxy has an art and craft focus, and it's been getting the girls really excited to make things. Penny was particularly interested in tie dye, and begged me to do it with her. New craft project? Ok, twist my arm :)! So one sunny Saturday morning, we tie dyed some of our clothes.

 

I bought a kit, which contained lots of colors already in squeeze bottles, though we only used four, saving the others for another time, when their friends might come over to try it, too. We dipped the shirt in soda ash (bought separately but next to the kit) and put on our old clothes, smocks, aprons, and eventually gloves, when I remembered them.


I think the key to success with young kids and projects like this is to have other activities set up for them when waiting is necessary. We soaked the shirts, and the girls went on their trampoline. Then we tied and dyed the shirts and put them in plastic bags, and went to get groceries. After naptime, we opened up the rubber bands and looked at our masterpieces, and then I rinsed, washed, and dried the shirts while we played in the afternoon.



Voila! They had tie dyed outfits and were so proud. They made me a tank top, too.


They made their dad a t-shirt to give to him when he got home from his trip (wrapping paper pictured).

 

I couldn't believe how little mess there was! What a success. It was a great way to give new life to the stained up white clothing in their wardrobe. I think we might make tie dying a back yard summer tradition.

1 comment:

shopno kumari said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.