Friday, November 11, 2016

Things Made Recently

Whew! It's been an interesting week, hasn't it? I feel like this country has really been through something. It feels kind of like a road trip, where at the end you are so spent you have trouble mustering up any energy for your actual vacation. Though this isn't really a vacation, it's life, I get it.  It's just that the joy and  continued optimism I was feeling seems compromised. I find myself trying to give pep talks to those around me (as well as myself) but I'm been at a loss. Maybe it'll come in time. I still believe that we have more in common than what divides us, and I hate to feel so divided.  In the meantime, we keep creating. The things in our hands are what we have control of most, right?


I made Lulu some party hats, from a kit I've had for quite a while: Alicia Paulson's Prettiest Party Hats. They were an absolute joy to make. They taught me new techniques with simple wool blend felt, and now I'm completely inspired to make more things, not only from her patterns, but from felt. I had some of it left over in the kit, so used it to make flowers on her birthday jumper (made from Simplicity 1075, vintage and in reprint). This jumper is destined to be worn only once, being wool and worn by a girl who embraces mess, but I've stopped caring. I relish it, in fact. That's what special occasions are for and you're only age 3 once ;)


I made Penny a fancy dress from Vogue 9042, in fabric from Rifle Paper Company, lined with a peachy pink linen. The sweater pattern is Lottie (Ravelry link), made with a bulky yarn in size 2 instead of 4, so it would all work out to gauge.


I made a Toasty Blanket from a free pattern that I altered greatly. I made it exactly to the pattern, but had lots of yarn left over, so ripped it out, started again with 40 something stitches, and improvised the rest. It's a lap or baby blanket. I haven't yet decided its recipient. I've ceased working at a yarn company, so my crafting budget is very limited, though I was pretty pleased with this yarn I picked up on a whim, at Joann. All of the details are on my Ravelry page for this project, if you'd like to see.


Finally, I made Lulu a winter coat from Pendleton Wool I bought a while ago at the outlet here in Portland. I used Vogue 9219, but when it was time to put on the collar, I just didn't want to cover up the yoke pattern. So I drafted a hood for it, and it worked out great. I also used magnetic snaps for the closure. The jury (being a jury of one person, age almost 3) is out on how that will work, but I'm very anxious for the result.

I hope you've spent some time doing things you love this week. I hope it brings you as much respite as crafting brings to me.

No comments: