Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Fair Isle 2: Oh My Goodness, It's Finished

This is my most ambitious kniting project to date. It's the Bessie (girls) Sweater, and it literally took me months.

I took a fair isle class. I was feeling confident. I made my own charted colors, I changed the pattern so I could knit it in the round, and I started. And it all became very difficult. I think I unraveled 1 in every 6 rows I knitted. Maybe I just wasn't in the right frame of mind? In the end, I learned a lot, but I'm not sure (with the knitting and the blocking and the finishing) that the proportions are at all correct.

I guess I'll have to wait for the recipient's mom to send me a photo of the special girl in this sweater. Tiny sleaves, a big body, a gaping neck, it's all very possible. And yet, now as I write this, I'm thinking of my next fair isle project, this time for myself! It's amazing how the burn of a creative project wears right off with new inspiration...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow Holly - this looks really amazing and difficult. I am again, and as usual, very impressed

Anna said...

I like your ideas, your handicraft, the pictures
and of course I feel thankful you remind me at > Mecki < I purchased some postcards at eBay :-)
Here is a little blog award for you, if you like please pick it up at:
http://schneewalski.blogspot.com/
Love Anna

sew nancy said...

holly
this sweater is very ambitious
a good challenge is worth it. even it if frustrates you in the process.

knitting for children is wonderful as handmade items are the ones people will always keep and hand down.

Alexandra said...

Wow! I am so impressed.