Monday, March 28, 2011

Buttermilking It...For All It's Worth

I was gifted a quart of buttermilk, and quickly got to using it last week. First, I made these oatmeal raisin cookies for work (recipe here). They were fantastic, but I added another quarter cup of oats to the batter to thicken it up a bit before baking, and it worked well.

Also, I made scones (recipe here). They came out a little overcooked and I could not figure out why. Then Mr. Jones then tried unsuccessfully to cook some soft boiled eggs and realized that our stove's kitchen timer was very...off. For every half hour it was adding 4 minutes!

So, with an oven which can't time cooking, nor give me the right temperature (it's 75 degrees too hot), nor show me how the goods are progressing during the bake (there's no oven window), I press on with my adventures in baking, somewhat undeterred. Imagine.

No comments: