Monday, March 21, 2011

Springtime for Peter Pan

I haven't made or worn a shirt with a Peter Pan collar since my childhood. Yet this Spring I have the urge to wear them in every sort of garment: a shirt, a dress, a lightweight suit! This is my first attempt. It's Butterick 5300, and I like it a lot.

I made it from a Liberty fabric I brought from England. I didn't do a muslin. I was feeling reckless, so I just went for it. I made the XS. Next time I might make the small, to have a little more wiggle room.

I made it with snaps instead of buttons. I was unsure of whether my machine could handle such wispy fabric for buttonholes, and I liked the uninterrupted front with the snaps anyway.

I wore it to a neighboring town, where we ate cream cheese and cucumber sandwiches, walked along train tracks and a dried up lake, and found the best grocery store we've been to in ages (details soon).

On this first weekend of Spring, there was even enough light to take some pictures. Some with flowers in them!

Happy Spring, everyone. May all your collars all be Peter Pan!

4 comments:

sew nancy said...

cute top and i like the photos of you too

Anonymous said...

I don't know how this happened but a year ago I became obsessed with Peter Pan collars, and it hasn't gone away! Love your blouse!

Leah Franqui said...

I love peter pan collars! So cute!
http://strugglesewsastraightseam.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this. Which front piece did you use? A-B-C or D-DD?