Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Starter Again

We had 2 days above 100 degrees this Summer.  Only 2, I know!  It's not that hot here, and never humid, and we have very few bugs...don't hate me!  BUT it rains for 9 months, so stop being jealous.  Anyway, what do you do in such heat?  I get a sourdough starter going again.  That is the only productive thing I can do.


This one is from the same book as the last, but it's made from potato water (just like my favorite pumpernickel).  I had both a starter and cooked potatoes at the end of a hot day.  Score!


It made my tastiest no-knead bread yet.


Gone in no time, I now make all my bread (and pizza dough, and rolls) with this sourdough starter.


Make it yourself, and see how good it is!


Potato Water Sourdough Starter

3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 qt. water
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon salt
1 pkg (2 1/4 teaspoons) dry yeast
2 1/2 cups potato water

Cook approximately 3 medium potatoes in water until tender.  Drain, reserving liquid.  Use potatoes in a favorite recipe.  In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, and dry yeast.  Mix well.  Stir in reserved potato water.  Cover with a towel or cheesecloth and place in a very warm place - 85 degrees Fahrenheit or 30 degrees Celsius, for 1-2 days or until mixture becomes bubbly.  Stir down several times a day.  Store until needed in refrigerator in a clean plastic container with tight fitting lid.  The lid must have a small hole punched in it to allow gases to escape.  To replenish, add equal amounts of all-purpose flour and lukewarm water at least once a week.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow Holly - this looks great! I am itching to try it.

Unfurled said...

It's going to be 85 degrees this weekend, Joc. DO. IT.