Thursday, October 18, 2012

In Time

I am trying to take it easy.  I mean, with this baby I have come to understand there's not much "easy" (probably with all babies, though I only know mine).  So if I can't change her, I'm working on changing me.  See, I like a creative challenge.  I like to knit things the most complicated projects on the smallest needles and thinnest wool. I like to make up my own patterns, and I've got ideas.  So many ideas!  I just don't have the time to execute them, and this frustrates me (greatly, sometimes).  Then came this sweater.


Made from a skein of aran-weight wool in the back of my closet (Tosh something, maybe?), I dug out a pattern that suited it and 3 mismatched buttons from my button box, and completed the whole thing in two days.  It was such amazing relief from the glorious tedium of my other crafts.  How good it felt to knit something easy, and accomplish it quickly!  


Then I tried it on Penny, and you know what?  It looks as cute as the garments she wears that took me months and months to complete.  It's a lesson to be learned, I guess, that the accomplishment doesn't come from just the amount of time spent, and that great results can come from things done quickly, too.


Raising this baby is my long-term project. And everything else I do, I have to learn to do in small doses, when I have time. I know that as she grows my time will be my own again soon enough.


In the meantime, I'll look for more amazing projects like this one to inject in my crafting line-up.  I'm going to have to, as I know 3 friends (3!) having babies in the next few months, and I believe every baby needs a handmade gift.


In time, I know, I'll get it all done.  And if I don't, I know it's not the end of the world, right?

No comments: