Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Preparing For Phase Pink

When Mr. Jones and I found out we were having a baby, I really wanted a girl.  I came to realize that this is very normal for women, to want a daughter, probably as normal as it is for men to want sons.  For me, the reason was clear: I wanted to knit and sew the cutest wardrobe for her, and in time, if she wanted, to teach her how to make things herself.  The ironic part of it is that almost everything I made for her before she was born was completely unisex, if not almost boyish.  I think it was part of a scheme to not assign gender too early.  But all moms of girls tell me that there is a time, not too far away, where the girls just want pink.  I have to admit, this makes me shudder.  And I don't even hate pink!  It's just that whole fairy-princess-waiting-for-a-man-to-save-you association which I cannot abide.  But you know, Penny and I will be discussing all of this when the time is right, and that excites me about having a daughter, too.


My plan when it comes to clothes however, suggested by Mr. Jones, is to inject her wardrobe with tasteful pinks - pinks I don't mind looking at, which hopefully she might enjoy wearing. This sweater, called Tea Leaves (pattern here, Ravelry link here) is my first attempt.


These days, there are so many pretty Spring pinks outside. The magnolia trees light up the Portland streets, and I can only hope that Penny, in future days, makes me smile just as much, when she wants nothing but pink, day and night. Or maybe she'll skip this phase entirely and stick with the beiges and blues, oranges and reds I've put her in thus far.  Maybe??

No comments: