Friday, July 18, 2014

A Girl Called Yay-Ya

Penny has a best friend. I don't know why this is somewhat strange to me. Maybe it's because I don't remember being two years old, and when I think about having had friendships back then (the 70s!!) that I no longer remember, it strikes me as kind of odd. Anyway, Penny's BFF is named Estella, and boy, does Penny love her. She talks about her constantly, and when she's with Estella she has a love in her eyes reserved only for...me (or so I thought). The funniest thing is that Penny can't even say Estella's name. So she calls her "Yay-Ya", and Yay-Ya has no problem with that at all. Penny and Yay-Ya go to daycare together. Here they are showing off their Fourth of July craft.


We took it to the next level by setting up Penny's first playdate with Estella this past weekend in our back yard. Since then, Penny has requested "Yay-Ya at my house" every single day.


There are so many great things about their friendship, but one is certainly that they influence each other, mostly in positive ways. Estella is a much more adventurous eater than Penny, and if Estella is eating something, Penny will eat it, too (hello, strawberries!). It's amazing how early peer pressure starts, isn't it?


There's room for two on the slide, as long as the right person is squeezing in...


Then there's that kind of "secret language" that best friends have. Estella decided to talk some nonsense into a tupperware lid and Penny...well, look at her face. Penny was in love with her for it. 



Penny and Estella share really nicely, and they're really polite with each other, too. They really admire each other. They've known each other for so long, and I really hope their friendship continues. Estella is getting twin sisters in the coming months, and I think Penny is hoping that means more time for "Yay-Ya at my house". We'll take her!

No comments: