Monday, April 3, 2017

Penny's Ballerina Birthday

We had Penny's Ballerina Birthday Party at the house this past weekend. Penny likes ballet, but hasn't really seen any. Instead, her love of ballet is an amalgamation of a love of princesses and brides and all kinds of girls that are fancy, beautiful, perhaps like to dance, and always wear the biggest dress possible. Instead of making her party dress, we were offered one by google and she fell in love with it. It reminds me of a line from the song 'Suzanne': "And she feeds you tea and oranges that came all the way from China". This whole party came all the way from China - from the piƱata to the craft supplies to her dress to the doll who donned in a cake. I only added the icing, and all the small princesses had a very lovely time.




One of my favorite thing is to eavesdrop on what a bunch of 4 and 5 year-olds are chatting about in those groups in which they stand. This time, Penny was introducing her preschool friends to the girls she knows from other places. It melted me.



I've held 8 birthday parties so far, between Penny and Lulu. The best moment of every one is always the blowing out of the candles. Every single person seems to be so happy in that moment, you know?





The rain finally cleared and we ended the party in the back yard. 

Penny had a great time. I don't know if it lived up to the months and months of anticipation, but she had no complaints. She's told me again and again that she's "stopping at 5", growing no older after this year. When I implied that she wouldn't have any more parties she said "No, no! I can still have parties. I'll just be turning 5 again". So there you go. Five is already so good, we're stopping here :).

No comments: