Monday, January 11, 2010

My Bread, indeed!

One of my New Year's Resolutions was to learn to bake bread. So I picked up this bread book while in the States. I saw the author on TV, and was impressed by his technique where you do no kneading, and bake the bread in a pot in the oven. So we tried it around here, and in only our second attempt, we're eating homemade bread (and enjoying watching the dough rise). I love it!

I have already learned that bread baking, as a friend put it, "is an endless abyss where you can spend your whole life". In a good way, though. Like knitting. There's just never enough you can do to satisfy your need (knead) for a challenge. When I'm done with all the recipes in my current book, I'd like to try this one, which I hear is legendary. The dough hook on my kitchen-aid mixer is aching for it.

In the meantime, we're enjoying REAL sandwiches on artisan bread - like mozzarella, basil, and pesto, or homemade egg salad with rocket with lots of paprika (above). The cold weather, between-jobs lunch just got cozier! Do you have any favorite bread baking resources?

No comments: