Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Bread Diaries

I've made some progress with the bread. Besides making the no-kneed artisan bread, I wanted to try kneeding, to make a traditional loaf for everyday use. I tried a Nigella recipe, then one straight from the bread flour bag. Both were a disaster, due the first and second rise being completely off. Then I realized...I was using the wrong yeast!

Mine was not fast-acting. It needed to be mixed with other things and set. So I bought some packets of the other stuff, and now I'm off and running! This is a loaf straight from a malted bread flour bag. It rose the best yet, and tasted delicious. Next up, I'm going to try to make this bread, which I read had a great results. I'm trying to deny that milk and honey in my bread freaks me out. I buy bread with these things, so I don't know what my problem is. Still, I am a recovering vegan and the idea of bread with only flour, yeast, and salt keeps me calmer. I'll let you know the results!

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

This bread sounds soooo yummy.
I would like to get the book. Enjoy your bread.