Tuesday, August 27, 2013

To Temper Pink

With Penny, I've certainly had a much documented aversion to pink, countered only by the fact that everyone thought she was a boy for the first year of her life. I always thought it would be really chic to dress a baby in only black and white. Her baby photos might look like old daguerrotypes, with backgrounds in full blooming color.


I got it into my head to make a black and white cardigan for the next baby.  I thought it would be a nice compliment to the inevitable pink clothing palate I won't be avoiding so much this time around. It's something you never really see in baby clothes, stark contrasting colors and the use of black/white. For this cardigan, I used a pattern from this book, from which I had previously made this cardigan,:


I chose this top down raglan with stockinette stitch yoke. I hardly changed the pattern at all, only adding more buttons than the three that the pattern calls for (Ravelry notes HERE).


I often hear people say that children grow out of their hand knits so fast, and maybe they do, but the couple that Penny's been wearing for the last 6 months or so (here and here, here and here) have really held up well. I'll admit I start putting them on her when they're a bit big, and she's now wearing them until they're almost worn out, if not grown out of (I'll also admit that a cardigan has seen her through more months than her pullovers). Overall, she's gotten so much more all season wear out of them than I ever anticipated.


I guess what I'm saying is that if you're thinking of knitting for baby, please do it; there are really no drawbacks. Especially if the cardigan comes from a mom's imagination into existence before that baby is even born. Now all she needs is a cute black beret to match, no? 

No comments: